Home  photo spacer.gif About Jess  photo spacer.gif Beauty Profile

August 12, 2013

Bare Bones DIY - Eye Makeup Remover

After years of using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover ($10.89 for 112ml at Priceline) i decided to see if i could make my own which would of course be cheaper and easier.

I decided to try the combination of witch hazel and olive oil.

Witch hazel has been talked about as a remedy for a lot of things over the years - hemorrhoids, acne, nappy rash, under eye puffiness, bruises, chicken pox, sunburn, razor burn - the list goes on! Like wise olive oil is used in beauty treatments (among other things) regularly.

Here's what you need:
  • Olive oil (I used extra virgin)
  • Witch Hazel (I used TN Dickerson's - $5.99 for 240ml at Chemist Warehouse)
  • A travel bottle (or empty bottle from an old eye make up remover that has been cleaned)
I mixed approximately (eye ball measurements) 1/3 olive oil and 2/3 witch hazel in my travel size bottle. It's that simple :)

To test it i used the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover on my left eye and the homemade on my right eye. The results are below.

(Click for a larger verion)

At first i thought that perhaps my DIY version was not going to be as good because there was not quite as much makeup on my cotton pad but when i looked at my eyes they both looked like i had removed all my makeup. Considering i am using a waterproof mascara at the moment (Almay Get Up and Grow) i was pleased.

Because i was using them both at the same time on different eyes i noticed that my homemade eye makeup remover felt much better on my eye. The liquid was more moist and cooler (even though they had been stored in the same place all day) and my eye area felt more hydrated on my right (DIY) eye.

You could, of course, use a variety of other oils if you don't want to use olive oil such as coconut oil or almond oil. I used olive because it is what i had lying around and also cheaper than coconut or almond oil. I think in the future i will try coconut oil though - i like the idea of my eye makeup remover smelling delicious!

Also, my witch hazel did include alcohol (14%). Where possible i would use witch hazel which does not include it but i couldn't find any at the time.

Have you tried a homemade eye makeup remover?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this! Just started following your blog and love it maybe you would like to check us out and follow back?
    www.ourlondonwardrobe.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know what you think after you try it :)

      Following you as well. I'm always up for some fashion inspiration!

      Delete

About

My photo
Hi there and welcome to my blog. My name is Jess and i am an anthropology and archaeology student. My speciality is forensic anthropology and archaeology. I love: Physical anthropology, osteology, forensic sciences, surfing, makeup and skincare, reading, television, playing games on my iphone, cooking, traveling, reading, history, pizza, a good nights sleep, hot weather...